F21 System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 21 09:38:44 UTC 2014

Am 21.04.2014 11:13, schrieb drago01:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> Am 21.04.2014 10:25, schrieb drago01:
>>> I did learn those things so did probably you and Harald but designing
>>> an operating system that requires deep technical understanding to be
>>> used is just a failure on our part
>>
>> you don't get it - ship dangerous defaults is just a failure on our part
>>
>> the user don't need to learn all the details
>> he needs only three choices
>>
>> * share for everyone inclduing the internt
>> * share only for the local network
>> * don't share for the network at all because it's used for plying on localhost
>
> Yes we should provide those choices which is what I am saying making this
> choice should not (and does not) require the knowledge about networking nor
> how to configure the firewall.

you need at least to understand the difference between internet and a
local network to make this decision or chose "internet" needs to be
harder then "local network" to not open samba by accident

my *real* problem is that this dumb proposal "Disable firewall" is
still not rejected and whoever made it that way banned the next
12 months from making proposals affecting the whole distribution

> The tool that configures the sharing should do that for the user.  The
> user should not have to
> mess around with firewalls, network ports and interfaces himself.
>
>> and while this *really* needed question is shown there should be
>> a link provided to read more about the differences
>
>>> What seems easy and obvious to people on a *operating system
>>> development mailing list* is not for the general public (believe it or
>>> not that's a fact). And no that's not because
>>> people are stupid. They just have different professions and interests
>>
>> explain that to them after damage happened with "oh i thought we should
>> not bother you because we think you have different professions"
>
> You missed the point again. Did you read the scientific papers I have
> pointed you at?

that scientific papers are self prophecy bullshit

if you often enough tell people they need not to know this and that
and later go out and ask them "are you interested in this and that"
what do you think will the answer be?