F21 System Wide Change: Workstation: Disable firewall

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:33:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 4:25 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM, drago01 wrote:
>>> There is difference between a software developer, a sysadmin and a
>>> user that simply wants to share his music with his family.  The latter
>>> should not have to learn about computer security to do it,
>>
>> Why not?
>
> Because for those people a computer is just a tool.

Sure. Please define "just a tool". I suspect we are talking about
different things.

>> I lock my door every night before I go to sleep, because I learned
>> about home security.
>
> No you don't do it because "you learned about home security" (I do not
> know if you did or not this is not the point), but because it
> is common sense to do so.
>
> That is comparable to using a password which user do use.

> Also where do you draw a line?

Hmm, if you didn't like the password analogy, let me tell you this:
I also shut my windows or other points of entry.
And yes, I learned it. I even taught it to some other people so that
they don't learn it the hard way.

I don't need to know about the woodwork, the construction details of
the mechanical parts, sodium oxide content of the glass.
I don't need to know about its assembly. I just need to know how to
shut the windows and open them up when I need to.
If my neighbor keeps all the windows open because he doesn't know how
to shut them, he'll be in trouble.

> The user have to know what sockets and ports are?

Yes.

Best,
Orcan