The Forgotten "F": A Tale of Fedora's Foundations

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 21 15:29:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:17:41AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Well, the problem I have with the Foundations is that by the way we
> have defined them, we've very clearly identified them as "equal" to
> one another. I'm not sure that this is sensible, particularly with
> regards to the "Freedom" Foundation. It's very clear that there exist
> in our community some hard-liners who will never be satisfied with a
> product that in any way allows the use of proprietary apps (I've seen
> proposals in the past to disallow Fedora from booting if the kernel is
> tainted, for example).

And those proposals haven't gone anywhere, because we *do* consider the
balance.

There are also people in our community who think we *should* be shipping
Adobe Flash and the Nvidia drivers and whatever else. I don't agree, just
like I don't agree with the people who think we need to strip out binary
firmware. But we've got a foundation for that too -- "Like any friends, we
occasionally disagree on details, but we believe in finding an acceptable
consensus to serve the interests of advancing free software."

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"