The Forgotten "F": A Tale of Fedora's Foundations

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 21:31:30 UTC 2014

On 21 April 2014 11:19, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/21/2014 01:08 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > better intermediate step?
>
> If Fedora isn't that gateway OS, why are we bothering? What makes it
> likely that any user would switch to us if they've entered the FOSS
> community via Ubuntu? (Don't get me wrong, this is a question we also
> need to answer, but I don't think it's wise of us to be recommending
> that Ubuntu handles gathering our new users for us.)

It is an interesting question... "why are we bothering?"

When people bother because they need to be THE gateway.. they are setting
themselves for a lifetime of disappointment. That ship sails completely
with little to no control.

I have found that if you are going to bother.. do it because it is making
something better for you, for something you care about. That is stuff you
can control and not items left to the fact that people choose to use what
everyone else uses or by the fact its name sounds exotic or they like
Orange over Blue.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.