F21 System Wide Change: Cockpit Management Console

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 09:06:33 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 04/15/2014 11:29 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >> ...snip...

> >> So, you want to push final release out to november? Or can you
> >> expand on what you mean by 'on the Fedora 21 schedule' ?
> >>

> > When I spoke with the Cockpit developers, there was concern that they
> > would not quite be "feature-complete" by the currently-targeted Alpha
> > date. In order to have a little breathing room, it was decided that we
> > should request additional time there. Perhaps we could shave a week
> > off off each of the Beta and Final deadlines to accommodate an
> > additional two weeks on Alpha? (Of course, that carries risks on test
> > coverage as well...)
> >
> > The purpose of requesting the additional time was to alert FESCo that
> > there is a risk of delaying the Alpha release for this Change (if
> > approved) and communicating that up front.
>
> Instead of delaying the whole release even more ... would it make
> sense to simply
> ask for this feature to have an exception to let it land in beta
> instead of alpha?
> OTOH this would kind of limit testing time for it.

I think this definitely better way - not being as strict regarding
deadlines for Cockpit and get some test coverage during later Test
Day.

Cutting one week from Alpha/Beta cycle is doable but only when it's
really, really needed. We did this voodoo magic a few times to avoid
Christmas etc. and believe me - that note in the Task Juggler source
for schedule - never, ever, do this - is just truth. It pains.

So the question is - is this Change that Change, delaying the WHOLE
Fedora 21 schedule so much desirable?

But I still prefer being more flexible with deadlines + scope cutting.

Jaroslav