The Forgotten "F": A Tale of Fedora's Foundations

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:49:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are some aspects  on this:
> - I don't think Fedora is able add non-free, patent-encumbered sw in
> e. g., in the way Ubuntu does - it fails on the fact that US law is
> applicable [...]

This has been repeated multiple times recently but that is still
wrong. For patent-encumbered sure we cannot ship them without a patent
license but
there is no legal reason why we couldn't ship non free software
(assuming the license allows redistribution) ... not saying that we
should but claiming
"we can't for legal reasons" is just plain wrong.