[RFC] plans for initscripts in F22

Lukáš Nykrýn lnykryn at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 14:38:07 UTC 2014

Hi,
for the F22 I am planning some bigger changes regarding initscripts and
I would like to ask for comments.

Initscripts package was in the past a crucial part of the system. They
basicaly set up whole system during the boot. Currently initscripts
package contains "support" for initscripts (/etc/init.d/function,
service command), network initscripts and tons of leftovers.

So my plan is following:

We must keep initscripts support, but I can imagine a setup where every
service uses a systemd unit, so this part does not have to be installed
by default, but could be pulled in as a dependency.

Network initscript. This will be probably the most controversial part.
In fedora 21 we will have three different tools for networking
(initscripts, NetworkManager and systemd-networkd) and all of them will
be installed by default. For various design reasons network initscripts
does not have any future (it is completely synchronous and does not work
with parallel boot very well). So I would like to split it in its own
package and drop it in the future. For most of the use-cases NM is
sufficient replacement and if somebody will miss a static configuration
we are planning to replace network initscript functionality in networkd.

Than there are scripts and configs like
/etc/crypttab
/etc/inittab
/etc/profile.d/256term.sh
/usr/lib/systemd/fedora-autorelabel
/usr/bin/ipcalc
/usr/bin/usleep
/usr/sbin/consoletype
/usr/sbin/genhostid
/usr/sbin/sushell
/var/log/btmp
/var/log/wtmp
I would like to find a new better home for them.

So I am suggesting to start with splitting initscripts to these
sub-packages.

initscripts - initscripts support
initscripts-core (looking for better name) - the leftovers which needs
to by installed by default for now, but we will move everything from it
to different components
initscripts-network - network initscript
initscripts-readonly - support for readonly root should be redesigned
completelly
initscripts-doc
initscripts-locale
initscripts-man

For more details please see the new spec file:
http://lnykryn.fedorapeople.org/initscripts/10/initscripts.spec

And  here is a test package and copr build:
http://lnykryn.fedorapeople.org/initscripts/10/
http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lnykryn/Initscripts-10/builds/

Regards

Lukas