The Forgotten "F": A Tale of Fedora's Foundations

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Thu Apr 24 16:04:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> OK cool. What is the plan for when repositories change what they
>> are carrying and add stuff that may be legal for them but not for
>> others? Will there be periodic reviews to make sure that this
>> hasn't happened or some way that we roll back what repositories we
>> recommend?
>>

> At the risk of being glib: What's the plan for periodically
> re-reviewing every package in Fedora to make sure that its sources
> always remain legal?
>
> It's the same problem and it can only realistically be dealt with by
> "If someone notices, deal with it then."

One practical difference is that there's no bug trackers for
individual COPRs. At least when a package is in Fedora, communication
can happen in a central place (Bugzilla), and there's an FE-LEGAL
blocker mechanism, etc. That tooling is much easier than trying to
handle things over private email, and none of that tooling exists
outside the distro. I've looked through COPR's features and roadmap
and I've not seen plans to add it, unfortunately.

- Ken