[RFC] plans for initscripts in F22

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 25 11:24:31 UTC 2014

Am 25.04.2014 13:12, schrieb Lukáš Nykrýn:
> Dne 25.4.2014 12:50, Reindl Harald napsal(a):

>>> Which is what we care about we cannot hold back progress in the
>>> distribution based on someone, someplace, somewhere might be using
>>> legacy cruff.
>>
>> have you ever heard "if it ain't broken don't fix it"
>> network.service works fine until someone decides to break it intentionally
>>
> network initscript *is* broken

no - such generalizations are always wrong
it does not fit for every setup and it don't pretend that

proven by over 30 F19/F20 setups in a wide range from virtualized servers
with simple setups to physical hardware with multiple network cards, virtual
TAP devices acting as  routers, firewalls, WLAN accesspoints and VPN servers
with up to 5 decdicated openvpn-instances with their own keys, ports and
TAP devices it works for a lot of environments and they never will change
because that is why virtualization is used

> During rhel7 beta I have discovered a lot of design flaws when people tried to use
> it on some advance hardware. Boot in fedora is now quite asynchronous and network
> is unable to cope with that. For example we have already removed the hotplug script.

network.service is not for hotplug
it is for static configurations

> And I really don't want to end with NM on laptops, network on simple servers
> and networkd elsewhere

i really won't end with NM on simple virtual servers with one virtual NIC
so just don't break network.service intentionally because it does not fit
your usecases

i don't demand you to you use network.service so don#t demand others
using NM and completly rebuild complex working setups - that's not
progress, that's just making development-noise to let people feel
there was done some work the hard way and they have to chew it