Deprecate setjmp/longjmp? [was Re: Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?]

Andrew Price anprice at redhat.com
Sun Apr 27 22:02:30 UTC 2014

On 24/04/14 15:13, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> We probably should make setjmp()-freeness a requirement for
> all code included in Fedora.

Would it be worth the effort, and how feasible is it anyway?
- Do we have any usage statistics?
- How often do we see bugs caused by bad uses of setjmp/longjmp?
- Is mitigation instead of blanket removal possible?
- How likely is it that /all/ setjmp/longjmp uses can be reasonably
replaced?
- Is there existing upstream momentum to move away from setjmp/longjmp?

(I'm not against the idea but I think it deserves further discussion.)

Andy