Deprecate setjmp/longjmp? [was Re: Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?]

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 07:52:36 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-27 at 23:02 +0100, Andrew Price wrote:
> On 24/04/14 15:13, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > We probably should make setjmp()-freeness a requirement for
> > all code included in Fedora.
>
> Would it be worth the effort, and how feasible is it anyway?

setjmp and longjmp are tools, that one may use in a good or bad way.
Along the same lines one could argue for dropping programs that use goto
in Fedora (because everyone knows that goto is bad).

To the point, if a program uses setjmp and longjmp it is often that
there was no other way to do it. You cannot for example have a
co-routine/fiber implementation in C without setjmp() and longjmp().

regards,
Nikos