We want to stop systemd from being added to docker images, because of rpm requiring systemctl.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:18:18 UTC 2014

On 28 April 2014 15:01, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:

> The problem  is lots of services require systemd because they ship a
> unit file and want systemctl reload to happen.  Systemd then triggers a
> require for udev and kmod, which docker containers do not need.
>
> rpm -q --whatrequires systemd| wc -l
> 151
>
> On rawhide I see 151 packages on my system which require systemd.
>
> We have a couple of options we could add a package called fakesystemd
> which provides a /usr/bin/systemctl that does nothing and does a
> provides systemd in the specfile.  Then if the user wanted to install
> systemd into a container it would need to obsolete the fakesystemd package.
>
> Or we could break out /usr/bin/systemctl into its own package and have
> it be smart enough to do nothing if systemd did not exist.

Option 3 (not sure which is the best long term): Can the systemd files be
broken out into seperate subpackages and that is just general practice?

Though I think a container-systemd (eg fakesystemd) might work better long
term because if there turns out to be a useful talking mechanism needed
between the containers and the real systemd it could be done via that
packages eventual contents.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.