Deprecate setjmp/longjmp? [was Re: Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?]

Paulo C├ęsar Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:08:11 UTC 2014

> On 24/04/14 15:13, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>
>> We probably should make setjmp()-freeness a requirement for
>> all code included in Fedora.
>

> Would it be worth the effort, and how feasible is it anyway?
> - Do we have any usage statistics?
> - How often do we see bugs caused by bad uses of setjmp/longjmp?
> - Is mitigation instead of blanket removal possible?
> - How likely is it that /all/ setjmp/longjmp uses can be reasonably
> replaced?
> - Is there existing upstream momentum to move away from setjmp/longjmp?
>
> (I'm not against the idea but I think it deserves further discussion.)

  I think setjmp and longjmp should be treated as a warning, and
replaced with sigsetjmp and siglongjmp, but not a fatal error, if I
recall correctly, grub has its own setjmp/longjmp implementation.
  Probably should be a rpmlint warning, like the one of libraries
that call exit.

> Andy

Paulo