F21 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Tue Apr 29 19:27:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM, P J P <pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>   Hi,

>   Ah, interesting! Thank you so much for sharing these details.
>
>> OTOH, it would be straightforward to write a tiny stub that forwards
>
>> 127.0.0.1:53 to something outside the container.
>
>   I think this is a better option than having a different device address like 127.0.0.53. Forwarding traffic from inside namespace to a loop-back device on the host is analogous to a guest(VM) forwarding traffic to its host via bridge interface.

FWIW, this approach has other benefits.  For example, virtme could use
it to avoid hacks like trying to bind-mount something on top of
/etc/resolv.conf.  Some day I hope to propose explicit virtme guest
support as a Fedora feature, and, if /etc/resolv.conf were to have
constant, predetermined contents, a major wart would go away.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/kernel/virtme/virtme.git

--Andy