F21 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 29 21:47:49 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 2014-04-29 at 14:15 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change:  Default Local DNS Resolver =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Default_Local_DNS_Resolver
>
> Change owner(s): P J P <pjp at fedoraproject.org>, Pavel Šimerda
> <pavlix at pavlix.net>,   Tomas Hozza <thozza at redhat.com>
>
> To install a local DNS resolver trusted for the DNSSEC validation running on
> 127.0.0.1:53. This must be the only name server entry in /etc/resolv.conf.

On my home LAN, I run my own DNSSEC-enabled server using F20 & bind 9.
This  local server also is my DHCP and Samba server. As usual, dynamic
clients   receive   the   LAN  local  domain  ID  and  DNS  server  ID
automatically.

How  does  this  proposed  change  affect my clients, or especially my
server  (which  uses  NetworkManager  (not  Network),  and a static IP
address?

As  nice  as  unbound  may  be,  documentation and configuration files
related to this change should not assume it is the only DNS server for
Fedora.