kernel packaging split up landing in Rawhide

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 30 11:56:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 29/04/14 22:41, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As part of the F21 "Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud" Feature[1],
>> I've committed and pushed the kernel packaging split up into
>> kernel-core and kernel-drivers subpackages.  For those of you running
>> rawhide, this really shouldn't be a major impact at all.  When you do
>> a yum update, you will see "kernel", "kernel-core", and
>> "kernel-drivers" packages being installed.  The end result should be
>> in line with today's rawhide kernels.
>>
>> Note: Unless you're using a typical VM or Cloud image, don't uninstall
>> the kernel or kernel-drivers packages.  The machine may boot with just
>> kernel-core, but it will lack drivers for a significant portion of
>> bare-metal hardware without kernel-drivers installed.
>>
>> Despite best efforts in testing, it's always possible a bug or two
>> snuck through.  In the event that you do have an issue with this,
>> please file a bug against the kernel package.
>>
>> josh
>>

>> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Kernel_Packaging_for_Cloud
>

> Just wondering how this will (or will not) affect kernel-module-extras ?

Great question.  It won't affect it.

> Currently there is a dependency (largely for backwards compatibility
> purposes) on kernel-module-extras from gfs2-utils and I'm wondering if that
> will need to be changed (or dropped) as a result of this,

Nothing at the moment.  Later this week I'm going to look at enabling
auto-provides for kernel modules in the various kernel packages.  This
will make situations like this much more flexible, as gfs2-utils will
be able to Requires: gfs2.ko (or whatever it is) instead of the
package name.  That will allow us to move modules around without
breaking packages, and potentially get ride of k-m-e down the road.

Once the auto-provides are enabled, I'll go through the tracker bug
Bruno has open and fix up the userspace package requires.

josh