fedora-atomic discussion point: /usr/lib/passwd

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Apr 30 13:25:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:

> can you use an actual chroot ?

Calling chroot tends to imply running code from the target system.  I'd
prefer to avoid that by default.  In practice some things are going to
require it, but the more we can avoid it, the better.

> I am not sure I understand the fdatasync() argument here ?
> sssd uses a database, so it is indeed probably "heavy" on f(data)sync
> for your standards (?).

It's not about how heavy the use of fsync is - it's whether to do it at
all.  There are two cases where we *don't* want to fsync - mock chroots
and initial installs in Anaconda.  For the other cases, like upgrading
a running system, we do.