F21 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Apr 30 19:36:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Why would you care for the domain name as provided by dhcp ?

internal DNS views, eg server.internal.corp.com where the search domain
gets set to "internal.corp.com" and "server.corp.com" does not exist.

> By default you wouldn't want that as you roam with a fedora laptop on
> completely untrusted dhcp networks that can push whatever crap as a
> search path.

Yes, which is why we tentatively came to the conclusion the best
compromise for this is "if the user authorizes to connect to this
network, allow it". Eg using physical cable or WPA secrets.

Paul