firewalld from a server perspective

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 12:58:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-01 at 08:47 -0400, Miloslav Trmač wrote:

> > 2. What zone should the server put the clients they connect. Should
> > there be some special vpn zone or should I use one of the existing ones?
> > (none of the existing looks very reasonable for that).
> How are the clients connected exactly?  If the traffic looks like it arrives on a virtual interface, a zone should be assigned to that interface, using the existing system-wide configuration for that interface (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*) if at all possible (this might require extra code I don’t know much about).

Correct the traffic arrives on a virtual interface. So as according to
the wiki the client should at some point execute "firewall-cmd
--zone=myzone --add-interface=tun-client-iface".

The question is what myzone should be. Should it be one of the
pre-defined zones, or should a new zone be created by the application
and the administrator should be expected to set its properties?

regards,
Nikos