the tragedy of Fedora Live USB conversion and what we can do about it

Thomas Gilliard satellitgo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 20:25:03 UTC 2014

On 8/1/2014 12:45 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-08-01 at 12:06 -0700, Thomas C.Gilliard wrote:

>> "A  problem is that the .iso versions offered for download in the
>> liveusb-creator  GUI always seem to lag behind."
> So a technical note on this one: luc can actually retrieve an up to date
> list of ISOs from the mirror server, but it doesn't do so when you start
> it. You have to click the Refresh button next to the image list (which
> it initially populates from a hardcoded fallback list inside luc). I
> tried to fix this and failed, so I filed a bug instead:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ticket/819
>
> but lmacken obviously hasn't been able to get to it yet.
It did not work for me in M$ 8.1 tried repeatedly to update list. So not
yet fixed.

>> more testing:
>>
>> I just tested on Yoga Pro 2 running native resolution and Widows 8.1
>> OS and the liveusb-creator is postage stamp size on the screen.
> Obviously an interface scaling issue; I don't know the details of what
> an app has to do in order for Windows to automatically scale it up on
> hidpi displays, though.
>
>> 1-) detect screen resolution and properly display GUI
>> 2-) run in compatability mode (run as administrator)
>> 3-) run as liveusb-creator --reset-mbr by default  (this can be done
>> in linux by editing the icon command)
>> 4-)Fix the Download button on the GUI to work and be up to date.
> yeah, these are the kinds of reasons I'm reluctant to promote luc too
> strongly.
The Sugar on a Stick spin obviously requires a user friendly way to
create a persistent USB for booting.

This works to make a persistent USB in Fedora [1]

Desktop$ sudo ./tools_livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 500 --home-size-mb 700 --delete-home --unencrypted-home Fedora-17-Beta-x86_64-Live-SoaS.iso /dev/sdb1

and if --efi is added it should boot on EFI systems (not tested recently)

Desktop$ ./tools_livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --format --efi --overlay-size-mb 300 --home-size-mb 175 --delete-home --unencrypted-home Fedora-17-Beta-x86_64-Live-SoaS.iso /dev/sdb1

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Testing/Reports/livecd-iso-to-disk