/media -> /run/media???

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:22:14 UTC 2014

> On Aug 5, 2014, at 3:28, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/08/14 19:13, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>> Can someone point me to discussion which ended in /media being symlink
>> to /run/media directory?
>>
>> I am now looking at Picasa rescanning 40GB of pictures just because
>> /media/storage/ dissapeared after upgrade of packages (which moved
>> /media/ to /media.rpmmoved/ one).
>>
> [..]
>
>> Should I create /my-own-directory-do-not-even-think-about-touching-it/
>> and keep mountpoints of all hard drives there just to hope that it will
>> stay there for next year?
>>

> Personally that's what I did eventually; this way I don't have to worry about the defaults changing - again - for whatever reasons in the future.

Fedora's recent tendency to override the published file system hierarchy specs, at whim, and replace them with symlinks is problematic, unnecessary, and is breaking things. In this case, /media is defined in the upstream specs as the location for removable media. Not /run/media. Not /whither/my/love/piƱata/wanders/media.

Changing stable behavior because you think your model is better than the published spec is capricious and wastes time. In this case, in particular, it breaks tools that report disk usage of removable media because the real mountpoint just changed.

So, please, please, stop re-arranging the file system. The /bin symlink is bad enough, this one was pointless.