Self Introduction / Contributing a package to Fedora

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:54:02 UTC 2014

> On Jul 28, 2014, at 16:18, Derek Pressnall <derekp7 at needcaffeine.net> wrote:
>

> I have a question about contributing a package to Fedora.  Is it common for the author of an open source package to act as package maintainer?  Or is it better to have someone else be the package maintainer (who is more experienced with the Fedora build processes)?  I'm the author of a backup utility which fills a niche between tools based on rsync, and the heavy-weight full featured backup tools, which I think would be a good fit for a typical Fedora user.  I already

Why? Rsnapshot and AMANDA are already available, stable, and quite robust. They seem to cover just the niches you're aiming at, and the performance and security ramifications have already been worked out. Plus, neither requires an SQL database, which makes them much more robust.

It's nothing personal or criticizing your code. I just wind up cleaning up after a lot of projects that reinvent the wheel. Backup systems are a popular such target.