/media -> /run/media???

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 17:54:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> *sigh*. Then the default should have been to set
> UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED to 1. Let people who *want* it in the new
> "/run/media/$USER/mountdir" select it. And it's *still* a violation of
> even the most recent filesystem hierarchy standards, which discuss the
> use of "/run" and "/var/run" for pid files, not for removable media.

Not a violation.

>From the beta spec:
 "Programs may have a subdirectory of /run; this is encouraged for
programs that use more than one run-time file. Users may also have a
subdirectory of /run, although care must be taken to appropriately
limit access rights to prevent unauthorized use of /run itself and
other subdirectories." [1]

The rationale here  is that media mounts for a seated user are part of
that users run-time, or session.
By placing them in an area exclusive to the seated user, the system as
a whole is more secure.

> Files in /run are supposed to be scrubbed or truncated at boot time!!!

$ findmnt  /run
TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
/run   tmpfs  tmpfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,seclabel,mode=755

> Think I can get any traction getting that default reset at this point?

Unlikely.

[1] http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/fhs/fhs.html#runRuntimeVariableData

--

-Jon Disnard