ca-certificates 2014.2.1 will remove several still valid CA certificates with weak keys

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Tue Aug 19 14:31:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 10:07 -0400, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> That’s the right thing to do of course, but leaves the users with an
> unusable system in the mean time.  Could the update description at
> least generally point to how to work around this if the certificate
> owner is not (sufficiently quickly) responsive?

I'd expect that users would be blocked from using just one application,
or from connecting to just a few servers - but should be able to connect
to the majority of the Internet just fine.

Can you think of scenarios, where a system is mostly unusable?

A general workaround is to downgrade to the previous package version, do
you think we need to state that explicitly in the update description?

Kai