Mono3.4 in Fedora 21, or troll?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:16:03 UTC 2014

Christopher,

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen any efforts from Claudio or whosoever to rebuild all
> mono packages (it's a MUST as Mono is not a _small_ package, he could
> use koji or his personal computer to do that) and feedback the results
> (most of status from the change page are "Need Test", I think it's
> nonsense and ridiculous), and I didn't see at least 1 ownership of him
> in pkgdb (it's not petty). Looks like getting sponsored is quite easy,
> one requested a incomplete feature and when we are close to the freeze
> one said he "need help to be a packager".

I think you're mostly missing the point here. Yes, you are correct,
it's not a single package, but an entire stack of tools, libraries and
applications. BUT what ever tools is used is irrelevant, as long as
it's well tested and the maintainer is active in dealing with issues
the arise their process and how they get there is their issue.

In terms of "nonsense and ridiculous" the feature hasn't landed and
the person clearly isn't working on it so it doesn't matter, what
would be "nonsense and ridiculous" is if the feature half landed and
still had "need test" but nothing has happened so the only word that
fits here is irrelevant.

> I don't want to see that mono is updated with a version bump only,
> that doesn't make sense to me, because there is no tests, no
> preliminaries, only a page with full of TODO items.
>
> Nevertheless, I still want to tell you that the latest Mono is 3.6.
> You should use 3.6 instead of 3.4 to avoid the crap:

Please do not use the word crap, it's crass and hostile and completely
not required. I don't see people referring to your work as such...

That is purely semantics, no doubt in a few months it'll be 3.8 or
4.0.... the fact it's out of date and who ever picks it up will need
to commit to maintain it going forward...

> Next time I hope you can step in with a detailed plan/schedule. You
> were too hasty IMO.

Next time I hope you can actually be constructive and civil in your
conversations and suggestions rather than hostile, otherwise IMO I
would sooner you just said nothing.

Peter