systemd dependencies

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 10:59:23 UTC 2014

Dne 26.8.2014 11:06, Michal Sekletar napsal(a):
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 09:32:26AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Hi,
> Hi Vít,
>
>> Recently I have noticed that systemd package dependency is creeping into
>> some packages where it is not necessary. subversion [1] or rsync [2] are
>> good examples. Please consider moving daemon parts into independent
>> subpackages. When I install rsync/subversion, I am typically interested
>> just in client side.
> At some point in time (F16 IIRC) we had systemd-units package which contained
> /etc/rpm/macros.systemd file. Packagers which followed our guidelines used for
> example %{unitdir} macro in %files. Hence they added systemd-units to
> BuildRequires.
>
> These days systemd-units no longer exists, macro file moved to systemd rpm and
> systemd-units is a provided by systemd rpm.

Thank you for insightful explanation.

Nevertheless, if you are using some macro, it is just build time
dependency. I believe that the issue might be due to %{unitdir} folder
ownership. And I see two solutions:

1) Packages which ships unit files should consider to put them into sub
package called either -daemon or -server. And this applies especially to
packages such as man (forgot to mention this one previously), rsync or
subversion. I don't typically use their server features or con jobs or
whatever.

2) sytemd should consider to provide -filesystem package, which would
limit the dependency to single small package (but this might be return
to the -units subpackage days? Not sure).

Their combination might be the best solution.

Vít