systemd dependencies

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Aug 26 12:23:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, 26.08.14 14:18, Vít Ondruch (vondruch at redhat.com) wrote:

> >> Recently I have noticed that systemd package dependency is creeping into
> >> some packages where it is not necessary. subversion [1] or rsync [2] are
> >> good examples. Please consider moving daemon parts into independent
> >> subpackages. When I install rsync/subversion, I am typically interested
> >> just in client side.
> >>
> >> Just to be clear, systemd-libs is in minimal build root already, so I am
> >> not complaining about systemd-libs package, but about systemd package.
> > What's the rationale here? I mean, we have so many dependencies, if you
> > want to minimize them, you have a loooong way to go...
>
> Someone has to start somewhere. It is annoying to install several
> packages, when you expect that only one should be installed. And by
> coincidence, I met several of systemd dependencies during short period
> of time.

What I am not getting: what's the point? I mean, systemd is not exactly
an optional package in Fedora.

You are asking people to split their packages in two, but what's the
real reason for that? If the systemd package isn't optional anyway, why
is this the dep you start with and asking people to complicate things
for?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat