systemd dependencies

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:04:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com> wrote:

> > If I saw systemd-filesystem installed, then I would think that
> > something needs to be placed into the systemd folder structure,
>
> Perhaps the bug is this: that you need to install a whole other RPM
> just to make a directory exist so you can put a file in it.
>
> Why can't the RPM providing the file just make the directory and not
> have a dependency at all?

As long your package doesn't need the package providing the directory for
normal functionality, there's no reason not to have your package own that
directory[1].  Packages that provide unit files, but are otherwise useful
in the absence of systemd would probably fall into this category.

Rich

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#The_directory_is_owned_by_a_package_which_is_not_required_for_your_package_to_function