systemd dependencies

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:53:23 UTC 2014

On 26 August 2014 10:43, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> I am
> package.
> you
> > > What I am not getting: what's the point? I mean, systemd is not exactly
> > > an optional package in Fedora.
> > >
> > > You are asking people to split their packages in two, but what's the
> > > real reason for that? If the systemd package isn't optional anyway, why
> > > is this the dep you start with and asking people to complicate things
> > > for?
> >
> > Isn't it optional? I am using mock and can build probably every ruby
> > package without *systemd* package installed into the build root (I am
> > not speaking about *systemd-libs*). But once I install one of man,
> > subversion or rsync packages, systemd is suddenly pulled in, why? Why it
> > should be?
>
> I am not doubting that one can minimize things, and that currently
> systemd ends up being into the build-root quite often. I am just
> wondering what the big deal is.

So after looking at several different container images kickstarts I notice
they all seem to remove systemd as it is provided by the base systemd of
the system. I don't know if that is the correct method or not, but seems to
be the common practice. So if various services end up relying on systemd
and would be removed in making an image.. what is the proper method?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.