systemd dependencies

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Aug 26 22:38:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:16:46AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com> said:
> > Perhaps the bug is this: that you need to install a whole other RPM
> > just to make a directory exist so you can put a file in it.
> >
> > Why can't the RPM providing the file just make the directory and not
> > have a dependency at all?
>
> It used to work (more or less) that way.  The problem is when a
> directory is supposed to have specific ownership/permission settings,
> only the package that actually owns the directory has that configured.
> It doesn't make sense to try to put that info in every package (should
> the rsync RPM know the permissions of /usr/lib/systemd/system?).
/usr/lib/systemd/system does not require any special mode. We actually
now warn about files with anything but rw-rw-r-- mode. This is very
unlikely to change.

The reason for dependency on systemd is different: if a package carries
a systemd unit, it should usually be enabled according to presets. It
should also be cleaned up when the package is removed. This requires
a dependency on systemd which carries the preset settings and utilities
to do this.

Zbyszek