fakesystemd package breaking builds

Václav Pavlín vpavlin at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 19:00:26 UTC 2014

On St 27. srpen 2014, 20:47:33 CEST, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Wed, 27.08.14 20:35, Václav Pavlín (vpavlin at redhat.com) wrote:
>

>>> So what is "systemd-container" supposed to do? And what precisely is
>>> "fakesystemd" supposed to do? And that "mini" thing?
>>
>> fakesystemd owns same directories systemd does and has set provides
>> to fulfill most RPM dependencies for systemd. For example you want
>> to run httpd in your Docker container which brings systemd,
>> devicemapper, kmod... in. If the base image contains fakesystemd
>> none of these dependencies is installed. If you really need systemd
>> in you container you can use following command:
>>
>> yum swap -- remove fakesystemd -- install systemd systemd-libs
>>
>> systemd-container (I think it's the same thing you refer to as
>> "mini") should remove dependencies which does not make sense in
>> container (again devicemapper, kmod...) and hwdb and should run as
>> init in multi-service containers. Well I am not sure if it ends up
>> being really "systemd-container" or simply "fixed" systemd. If I am
>> not mistaken this was second topic for last Base WG meeting which we
>> didn't get to:) So hopefully this week?
>

> I am not on the base WG. I was not selected for it. If you come up with
> schemes like this, it is really a good idea to actually ask the people
> who work on the package you are trying to work on or work around...
Well you was very helpful on last meeting and I guess you'll be invited
to the next one as systemd should be on the plate again.

> Can we please do this stuff more systematically?
>
> I also offered to split out the hwdb in Brno, if you remember. If this
> is about the hwdb, then let's just do that...
Talk to Michal Sekletar about it then - he is working on "something" we
call systemd-container internally. We need systemd running in Docker
container. I don't like to have needless stuff in images but if the
result is "just drop the hwdb" then I am fine with that.

> But regarding kmod/devicemapper, can we please get some stats about how
> big this individually are, and how much is saved by this? kmod at least
> is 150K or so only. Is there really any value in doing this weird stuff
> for a fricking 150K?! Fedora has no bigger fishes to fry?
I'll prepare stats for you tomorrow.

> The systemd-container or fakesystemd stuff sounds awfully adhoc. Can we
> please always discuss this first, and see if we can find a different
> solution? We don't need three different "solutions", if one works too...
We've talked about this on Flock - it's not only about disk space but
also about security reasons (CC'ing Dan Walsh). My goal was not to have
needless junk in base image - if we are not going to use systemd to
manage services there, why should it be there with all it's dependencies?

Vasek