systemd dependencies

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 18:09:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:32 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I have noticed that systemd package dependency is creeping into
> some packages where it is not necessary. subversion [1] or rsync [2] are
> good examples. Please consider moving daemon parts into independent
> subpackages. When I install rsync/subversion, I am typically interested
> just in client side.
>
> Just to be clear, systemd-libs is in minimal build root already, so I am
> not complaining about systemd-libs package, but about systemd package.

Sorry for the late response, I've been busy.

I've some interest because I've been backporting current Subversion
versions to RHEL 6 over at https://github.com/nkadel/, and trying to
get them into repoforge. They won't go in EPEL or mainline RHEL due to
significant incompatibilities with the published releases. But
consistency with Fedora is useful, so I'm interested.

The problem for subversion is the 'svnserve' daemon, which can be used
as a standalone daemon. That should, ideally, be factored into a
'subversion-svnserve-daemon' or similar package. The svnserve daemon
is also used for Subversion server side 'svn+ssh' access, so it
shouldn't be stripped out completely, but can work as s standalone
daemon and needs init scripts or systemd setups for precisely that
use. The confusion will occur when people expect to find the daemon in
the base 'subversion' package. With frequent new Fedora upgrades, I
think it's a great idea to segregate out now as part of the next
Fedora release.

Rsync has similar issues for 'rsyncd' as a standalone daemon, which I
see have been resolved as an 'rsync-daemon' separate package.