How many users does Fedora have?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 1 11:29:53 UTC 2014

Am 01.12.2014 um 12:26 schrieb Alec Leamas:
> While we're on it (in the form "how many devs do we have"): How
> hard/impossible/unsuitable would it be to get a usable estimate on the #
> of users, per package?
>
> Here are so many problems, technical, policy, resources, (others?). That
> said, feedback in the form "How many users uses/installs my package"
> would IMHO be a great input for any packager. It would be the difference
> between dropping the package in a black hole vs getting a message back
> from the community.
>
> Lets face it: I envy those who can measure the usage from a download
> counter or so. Can we have something similar?

no - you have no clue which mirror was used without explicit tracking in
YUM/DNF and given the noise about the recent Firefox changes you won't
even consider seriously tracking inside the distribution

additionally downloads are meaningless - many setups with more than one
machine have their local mirrors and a download can be 1, 10 or 50
installed instances