How many users does Fedora have?

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:10:09 UTC 2014

On 01/12/14 14:34, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 12/01/2014 01:10 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>
>> That said, let's not limit this discussion to the "download counter"
>> concept. There are other approaches, perhaps some kind of reporting app
>> which send reports on installed sw to a central server, like the abrt
>> thing. Or something else, which I cannot imagine.
> We've had something of this kind many years go. It was called smolt and
> had proven to be worthless and the origin of heated controversials.
>
> I am not at all interested to see Fedora walk this route again and feel
> history repeats. Seems to me as if another generation of Fedora
> contributors is trying to re-implement the mistakes of the past :(

If I understand the notes from retiring smolt correctly at least some
folks intended to replace it with a "better" tool, arguing for the need
but that smolt was broken beyond repair.

Pierre's first question is still here: Is any number better than no
number? Any tool like smolt need to be opt-in (?), and the numbers will
be affected at least by this. Is this so bad that it's better to have no
numbers at all (assuming smolt's other shortcomings could be fixed)?

Also, here is the other path trying to get something useful out of the
mirror download logs. Same question, though.

Cheers!

--alec