How many users does Fedora have?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 1 21:12:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-01 at 14:34 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> We've had something of this kind many years go. It was called smolt and
>> had proven to be worthless and the origin of heated controversials.
>
> smolt did hardware stats, not software.  It "proved to be useless"
> merely because it was badly implemented and then not fixed; had it been
> good, it would have been very useful indeed.  And it was controversial
> because you can't wipe your nose on fedora-devel without someone
> accusing you of a conspiracy to destroy Linux.

The replacement for it, called Census, looked much more promising and
was all plugin capable and API-y and good stuff.  It would have been
an improvement over smolt simply for the fact that PCI IDs were shown
in hex and not decimal.  I've not heard about it in a very long time
though.  Not since Flock 2013.

josh