How many users does Fedora have?

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 3 07:47:50 UTC 2014

At the risk of jumping in, here's my own 2 cents on the subject...

On 12/03/2014 12:30 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On 2 December 2014 at 09:15, <jfm512 at free.fr <mailto:jfm512 at free.fr>> wrote:
>
>     2)  It has an uninspiring installer.
>

> Ok I need more information on what this means in comparison to what? I
> have installed pretty much every major Linux distribution and I have
> never found any one of them 'inspiring'. Even the Ubuntu one is more of
> "well at least its not the base Debian installer" versus "OMG I am alive
> and free because of this installer." So I need more information to
> understand what you are saying.

While the next-gen Anaconda in Fedora 21 is much improved since its
first iteration in Fedora 18, having just installed Ubuntu 14.04 on a
test VM in the same week, I must say the Ubuntu installer has an edge
mostly in aesthetics -- during the installation process, instead of a
small banner at the bottom for introducing the operating system, you get
an interactive grid of screenshots in the middle of the installation
window, with nice looking left and right toggles.

>     3)  A slow update manager and front ends aren't particularly attractive
>

> Again.. I have found them all to be pretty slow and crappy. So what is
> in your eye attractive.

dnf (hopefully default in F22) and apt are both faster than yum, at
least subjectively. apt now has a really nice colored progress bar that
shows up at the bottom of the terminal when the installation is in progress.

Cheers,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/