Meeting minutes from Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2014-12-03)

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 13:47:00 UTC 2014

#fedora-meeting: Env and Stacks (2014-12-03)

Meeting started by hhorak at 12:02:01 UTC. The full logs are available
at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-03/env-and-stacks.2014-12-03-12.02.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* init process  (hhorak, 12:02:39)

* Follow-ups  (hhorak, 12:04:26)
   * LINK:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/LanguageSpecificRepositories
     (ncoghlan, 12:06:03)
   * LINK: https://github.com/pulp/pulp_python   (ncoghlan, 12:10:50)
   * the Java guys has reached a conclusion that downstream maven
     repository wouldn't have significant benefit, so I'd say that Python
     is alone as a pilot right now  (hhorak, 12:14:20)
   * Python wheel's currently have a problem where all prebuild Linux
     binaries get tagged "linux_<arch"  (hhorak, 12:14:20)
   * LINK:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2014-November/025297.html
     (hhorak, 12:24:08)
   * LINK:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2014-December/025337.html
     (hhorak, 12:24:15)
   * we should make some marketing for the 'upstream repository' ideas,
     so we get feedback from broader community, but not sooner than the
     devpi instance is out and we have an example of using that in a
     Dockerfile to install a Python app  (hhorak, 12:31:13)
   * LINK:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/UserLevelPackageManagement
     (ncoghlan, 12:33:38)
   * ACTION: ncoghlan: add the "trusted curator" rationale to
     LanguageSpecificRepositories page  (ncoghlan, 12:51:52)
   * ACTION: bkabrda will ask java guys to create a wiki page summarizing
     the approaches we thought of and why we think it's not worth the
     effort + post the link to WG ML once it's ready  (hhorak, 12:56:37)

* SCLs and CentOS  (hhorak, 12:59:43)
   * Software collections development is now slowly moving to CentOS,
     since that is nice open platform where software collections make
     much more sense.  (hhorak, 13:01:22)
   * So, what is happening is that CentOS SIG was established that would
     help to develop some better ecosystem around SCLs where more people
     can actively participate.  (hhorak, 13:01:49)
   * LINK: http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo   (hhorak,
     13:01:53)
   * better said centos seems to like scls more than fedora  (hhorak,
     13:07:29)
   * there are still valid use cases for SCLs in Fedora  (hhorak,
     13:23:08)
   * SCLs as a technology should be implemented in Fedora first,
     irrelevant of its consumption of the content  (hhorak, 13:27:41)

* Chairman for next meeting  (hhorak, 13:39:01)

Meeting ended at 13:44:03 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* ncoghlan: add the "trusted curator" rationale to
   LanguageSpecificRepositories page
* bkabrda will ask java guys to create a wiki page summarizing the
   approaches we thought of and why we think it's not worth the effort +
   post the link to WG ML once it's ready

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* bkabrda
   * bkabrda will ask java guys to create a wiki page summarizing the
     approaches we thought of and why we think it's not worth the effort
     + post the link to WG ML once it's ready
* ncoghlan
   * ncoghlan: add the "trusted curator" rationale to
     LanguageSpecificRepositories page
* **UNASSIGNED**
   * (none)

People Present (lines said)