Maybe it is time to move tools to Python 3.x?

Marcin Juszkiewicz mjuszkiewicz at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 19:13:42 UTC 2014

Hi

Today I tried to use few Fedora tools and was greet with nice tracebacks
when gave wrong arguments or something other happened. But that's not
why I am writing.

What surprised me more is that Fedora tools are still Python 2.x based.
Someone may write "so what?" but I think that using legacy version
should have some end date. 6 years passed since Python 3.0 release...

When I worked at Canonical there was a goal to move both internal and
public tools to Python 3.x version. IIRC started somewhere around 12.04
and today when you look at Ubuntu Touch you will not find Python 2.7
there. Similar with other tools.

Can it be done? Maybe not in a month but who knows - f22 cycle?