Maybe it is time to move tools to Python 3.x?

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 08:15:25 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> W dniu 03.12.2014 o 20:30, Matthew Miller pisze:
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 08:13:42PM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> >> When I worked at Canonical there was a goal to move both internal and
> >> public tools to Python 3.x version. IIRC started somewhere around 12.04
> >> and today when you look at Ubuntu Touch you will not find Python 2.7
> >> there. Similar with other tools.
> >> Can it be done? Maybe not in a month but who knows - f22 cycle?
> >
> > Take a look at
> > <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default> for some
> > work in progress.
>
> Thanks.

FWIW, just yesterday I started a discussion on packaging/python-devel lists about changes in guidelines connected to the "Python 3 as Default" change [1]. One of the proposed changes is that applications for F22 should be built with and use Python 3 as "the Python". Feel free to join the discussion (I'll submit an FPC ticket once I feel that no more people want to comment on my proposal).
And yeah, this is a sort of heads-up for this list that such discussion is happening :)

--
Regards,
Slavek Kabrda

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2014-December/010360.html