"Tick-tock" release cadence?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:48:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 04.12.2014 um 15:46 schrieb Richard Hughes:
>>
>> On 4 December 2014 at 14:39, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> including holding GNOME and other showcase software to the same
>>> version.
>>

>> I think that would be *very* unpopular with the desktop team
>

> you should not stop read before answer because the following paragraph
> starts with "So the tock release _wouldn't_ be that" :-)
>
> +1 for the proposal in general from me because i am one of them suggesting
> for years that every second release should have the focus on bugfixes /
> polish / get large features from the previous release mature
>
> keep in mind that this *finally* could even lead to faster development
> because annoying bugs people struggle with and can't be fixed that quick in
> the current cycles may go away

Well forbidding features for 6 months wont get people to start fixing
bugs they will work on those features anyway (just only upstream).
That only works if you have paid developers that you have control
over. If you have volunteers ... it won't work. It would be pretty
much just mean "skip every second release" because that "bug fixing"
wouldn't be any different from what you get from updates.