"Tick-tock" release cadence?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 4 18:42:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 11:02:28AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >For us, that would mean alternating between concentrating on release
> >features and on release engineering and QA process and tooling. During
> >the "tick", we'd focus on new features and minimize unrelated rel-eng
> >change. During the "tock", we'd focus on the tools, and minimize change
> >that might affect that.
> Presumably we wouldn't need to do this even up. We want say 2 to 1
> or 3 to 1.

A waltz beat, say. :)

> >* prevent compounded delays caused by intersection of feature needs
> >  and releng changes
> There was a bit of that this time. But this was a really big change.
> Are you thinking we will have this scale of change for releng on a
> regular basis?

So, frankly — and I think the rel eng team won't be offended here,
because they know it more than anyone! — we're beyond what the current
releng overall design can really scale to, and it needs an order of
magnitude _more_ work in order to allow us to keep growing. (And that's
not just with the Fedora.next stuff or new things like Atomic — the
sheer _size_ means composes are going to take more than 24 hours in the
forseeable future.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>