Power Consumption

john.tiger john.tigernassau at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 01:52:52 UTC 2014

sorry for late response to all your feedback , been off-grid ( rural AZ
+ ATT  => fail )

@owen - thks for feedback re backlighting - got dimming set via xfce
power settings - dimming seems about same as osx but power use still
sucks (4 hrs)  so something is missing - have noticed there seems no
setting for % brightness for normal use -could probably get by with
75-80% and this might be a big impact - does gnome have better power
settings ?  will load gnome tonight and see.   If dimming and backlight
pcts are avail to user then user can set to their own preference
otherwise a default can be provided - apparently osx picks some default
that most seem happy with and the life is impressive

@kevin - yes, you're right on - should be good by default (then allow
user mods).  Need good setting capability and then better docs with
powertop, tuned (yeah they seem only for monitoring but then auto-tune
sounds like some optimization program

@Jan
re lenovo with powertop  thks for feedback - will try with
"--auto-tune"   tomorrow

@Ivan  hola, (soy ir Chile y Argentina en marzo - en donde vives ?) see
my comments below, let's start after F21 release

@orcan, @adam
re suspend - probably hardware specific - happy to say we've found F20
suspend works perfectly on Air and Acer 720 Chromebook

@smoogen:
re all those steps - oh I thought I left corp America behind :)  I hope
we can do with less bureaucracy and maybe just some old fashioned
hacking and trial / error  but I do recognize that testing with Rawhide
might be correct for latest changes

our next step will be to upgrade to F21 since it's final in a week, then
test auto-tune and backlight as above and see if significant difference.