Power consumption with Fedora

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 08:43:14 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 14:44:59 -0700
> "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:

> > > My 3 years old Lenovo X220 lasts for 12 hours (powertop reports so)
> > > on Fedora 20 x86_64 with powertop --auto-tune.  According to
> > > powertop approx. 5.5W is display backlight and 1W is the rest of
> > > system.
> > >
> > > Just to give a reply that Fedora is not bad on all configs/hardware.
> >
> > Well until yesterday I didn't know that Fedora didn't install /
> > configure any of these packages. I've installed tlp and powertop, I
> > didn't know powertop did anything other than monitor. I'll see what
> > powertop --auto-tune does. I don't even know if the tlp package has
> > enabled anything either. I wonder if having tlp installed and running
> > powertop --auto-tune will conflict / fight each other...
> >
> > Time to try stuff out.
>
> You might also look at tuned...
>
> (I think it was mentioned early in the thread).
>
> tuned-adm profile powersave

I've probably said this before, but I wouldn't trust tuned one bit, after I was
told that 1) no measurements were ever taken 2) no attempts to make beneficial
configurations the defaults were made (which is probably right, given that they'd
have no data to back it up).

Probably a good source of tunables if you don't want to read distro forums
yourself, but light on the scientific method.