Maybe it is time to move tools to Python 3.x?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Dec 5 21:02:36 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-03, 19:13 GMT, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> When I worked at Canonical there was a goal to move both internal and
> public tools to Python 3.x version. IIRC started somewhere around 12.04
> and today when you look at Ubuntu Touch you will not find Python 2.7
> there. Similar with other tools.
>
> Can it be done? Maybe not in a month but who knows - f22 cycle?

Perhaps this will be another victim of (in my opinion not very
wise) the decision not to have Python 3 in RHEL-7. For plenty of
people (and servers) who use RHEL-7 python 3 is still a problem.

Yes, I know about Software Collections. And yes, I haven’t
managed to make it working properly on my system (e.g., I cannot
just run a random python3 script with '#!/usr/bin/python3'
shebang with just software from our packages); and there are
almost no packaged libraries for Python 3.

Matěj