"Tick-tock" release cadence?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Dec 6 15:35:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 20:27:37 -0800,
  "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb at znmeb.net> wrote:

>PostgreSQL is a good example - 9.4 is in the release candidate stage
>right now and will probably be declared stable within a month. If it
>doesn't at least make it into updates-testing before F22, I'll be
>adding 9.4 from the PostgreSQL project's RPM repos or building it from
>source. I need a major new feature - Binary indexable JSON storage.
>GDAL and QGIS are other examples; I ran for a couple of months
>building gdal 1.11.0 from source and installing QGIS from non-Fedora
>repos because I needed those features and they weren't in
>updates-testing.

In the past Postgresql has not been updated during a release. Typically
the new Postgresql version had to be out by the Fedora beta of the
release it first appeared in. So mostly likely Postgresql 9.4 will never
be a normal update for F21. There is an option to make it a copr, but
I think that Postrgesql makes compatible RPMs for people that what to
run specific versions regardless of what comes with a distro.

Postgresql is a special case though, because upgrading a database is
something that needs a lot of caution.