"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 8 09:50:09 UTC 2014

Am 08.12.2014 um 10:34 schrieb Michael Spahn:
> We don't need open or preconfigured high ports.
>
> What we really need is a user notification with options to allow or
> deny like we do with SELinux.
>
> That would be a appropriate solution for a workstation.

* you know that
* i know that
* the same applies for many options chosen at install

sadly the goal is to ask users as less as possible because they may be
overwhelmed - the attitude "a user is a user and don't need to know
anything because all can work magically" is wrong, proven dangerous and
leads in users don't know anything after not beeing bothered with anything

*finally* they are trained to *rely* in sane and secure defaults but
everybody working in the IT knows that you enevr can't have both: secure
by default and all magically working by default

people switched to Linux systems to go in the "secure by default"
direction, sadly this times seems to be gone