"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 8 09:58:29 UTC 2014

Am 08.12.2014 um 10:48 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
>> I just happened to look at the firewalld default settings, and I was not
>> amused when I noticed this:
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/firewalld.git/tree/FedoraWorkstation.xml
>>>   <port protocol="udp" port="1025-65535"/>
>>>   <port protocol="tcp" port="1025-65535"/>
>> This "firewall" is a joke! ALL higher ports are wide open!
>>
>> There had been a prior discussion on this list where they wanted to disable
>> the firewall entirely. We told them that that's a horrible idea (which it
>> is, of course!). But the result is that they implemented this "solution"
>> which is almost entirely as bad, and which additionally gives users a false
>> sense of security, because a "firewall" is "enabled" (for a very twisted
>> definition of "enabled").
>>
>> IMHO, this is a major security issue that MUST be fixed. It also shows what
>> horribly bad an idea per-Product configuration is.
>
> This was discussed, and implemented in the open

but *nobody* cared for why it is a bad idea

if something is discusssed in the open and IT security people like me
and others explain repeated why it is a bad idea you can't skip the
whole discussion and do want you want

>> Yet another reason why you should NOT use "--product=workstation" to upgrade
>> your F20 to F21 (ALWAYS use "--product=nonproduct"). Installing the
>> "Workstation Product", or upgrading to it, will leave you with a totally
>> insecure system.
>
> There are no services listening on upper ports enabled by default

that attitude is unacceptable

why do you then need it open?
because later a software is installed which may use it?
than "there are no..." is hypocritical and harmful

you can't secure a setup only for what is shipped as default and put
your head in the sand knowing that there are tons of software ,istening
on high ports in the repos and installing them *do not* mean "for the
whole world"