"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 8 10:05:07 UTC 2014

Am 08.12.2014 um 10:50 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
>> We don't need open or preconfigured high ports.
>>
>> What we really need is a user notification with options to allow or
>> deny like we do with SELinux.
>>
>> That would be a appropriate solution for a workstation.
>
> No it wouldn't be, because users don't like being asked security questions

STOP THAT - you do NOT speak for "the users"

you speak just for the careless part but they are already trained
monkeys click on "yes" and "OK", at least they are responsible for their
click

for brand new PC users the sad in that attitude is they will never have
a chance raise their voice about it - if you are aksing the right users
in a survey you can always have the reulst you want

the rest is fine with think and answer a question of the OS and *after
that* repsonsible for his own decision - making the decision implicit
"we open that for you without asking" is dangerous and harmful