"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 15:23:32 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 12/08/2014 03:45 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

It's not in the default installation because it's not needed. It wouldn't have
been needed either for any of the other possible options.

Also, the "we had a choice between removing firewalld or accepting this zone" is
completely untrue. Fesco had refused the removal of the firewall in the past,
and I don't think that it would have been accepted this time either. So modifying
the default firewall, or modifying the firewall interaction was necessary.

Given that the firewall doesn't protect any data in the session whether with the
workstation zone, or with a fully blocking one (apart from one that disallows any
networking, obviously), then I don't see what the problem is here.

The firewall in the session didn't improve security, it slightly improved privacy though,
which is something that we've looked into, and implemented a new sharing framework
to avoid sharing services being launched in networks where it wasn't intended. We also
changed the default avahi configuration to not leak information about the machine.

The net result is that the only services running on a default Workstation installation will
be as a consequence of users turning them on. No information about the user is leaked unless
they choose to share it by sharing data.

Having a good default also means that we avoid the turning off of the firewall as a big
hammer, just as we protect users better by enabling an SELinux with configurations that work
by default, and why it's a problem when SELinux gets in the way of user wanting things to work.

See also:
http://www.superlectures.com/guadec2013/more-secure-with-less-security

Consider this my closing note on this subject.

Cheers