python-dateutil update

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Mon Dec 8 16:47:40 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 09:10:59AM -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2014 8:51 AM, "Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek" <zbyszek at in.waw.pl>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 04:45:12PM -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
> > > python-dateutil is old[0].  Fedora is carrying version 1.5, and upstream
> > > is up to 2.3 .  If you're receiving this mail directly, you are a
> > > maintainer of  a package that depends on python-dateutil, and we need
> > > your help.
> > It seems that calibre is fine with the new version. I wanted to update
> > pyton-dateutil to check if calibre works, and it seems that I
> > installed python-dateutil-2.3 with pip --user couple of months ago and
> > calibre didn't seem to mind. There's some dateutil usage in the installer,
> > which I didn't test but which we probably don't care about.
> > https://github.com/dateutil/dateutil/blob/master/NEWS also doesn't seem
> > scary.
> >
> > So I think it's fine it python-dateutil is updated as a calibre dep.
> >
> > Zbyszek
>
> Great, thanks for responding.   I'm a *light* calibre user, but I'd be
> happy to help test with a newer dateutil when it becomes available if
> that's the direction you are going.
You can just install the python-dateutil-2.* package and test away ;)

Looking at the list and your annoucement mail again, I wonder if it
might be better to bump python-dateutil to 2.2 again as soon as the
updated python-dateutil15 is available, and simply modify packages
which either explicitly depend on dateutil < 2 or exhibit problems to
depend on python-dateutil15. Proven packagers can do that trivially if
necessary. Otherwise this could drag on for months.

fedocal and python-django-tastypie are the only packages which
explicitly require python-dateutil < 2. If you wish, I can volunteer
file bugs to change the dependency for F21 and rawhide for those two
packages and do it myself after a week if the maintainers don't
respond or are fine with the change (got to use those provenpackager
privs for something :)).

Zbyszek